In 1953 Mr George G. Pace reorganised the chancel in St Edmund’s Church and the reredos erected in the early 20th century by the famous Victorian church architect Mr Temple Moor was removed and taken down and the present East window, depicting the Ascension was inserted in the unblocked windows.
The artist of the window was Mr Harry J Stammers, who formerly lived in York and did much of his work in this area. Very fine examples of his work can be seen in the Cathedrals of Canterbury and Lincoln. The side windows depict Adam and Eve and the Serpent in the Garden of Eden and the Blessed Virgin Mary and Child holding a Chalice and Host.
It is a remarkable window and when in the daylight sunshine or illuminated in the evening looks magnificent. On a dark evening and when the church is occupied by a service, the church lighting makes the window look even more impressive.
The window is dedicated to the memory of Thomas Gillah Ibbotson who was churchwarden at St Edmund’s from 1892 to 1911 and his wife Elizabeth. The window was given by their son William Kendall Ibbotson.
Visitors to St Edmund’s should take the time to spend a few minutes viewing the window. The colours blend in with the other windows in the church creating unity and harmony throughout.
The illustration displays the window in all its glory.