Click on any photo to enlarge and scroll through them all.
Church Lane is the shortest street in the village. Today there are 28 buildings in Church Lane. At the start of the first world war there were 10 (9 dating from 1811) and of these 10, 8 still stand. Three of these are or were church or chapels and one is the hall. The map below shows that most of Church Lane was bounded by fields.
Malcolm Young wrote a number of PAST TIMES articles about the buildings on Church Lane – click on the green [PT] superscipts to see them.
Starting at the Cross and going south east, the first house, on the right, is Church Farm (now Rockford Lodge) – built in 1833. The aerial shots show how alone it then stood.
Opposite, but down a lane, was the original Chapel Farm – built in 1802 and replaced in recent decades.
Almost opposite Church Farm, The Primitive Methodist Chapel [PT] – built in 1821 – stands alone on the roadside to the front of Chapel Farm.
A little further along on our left, Church View – built in 1804 – can be seen right opposite the Church.
Before looking at the Church, we can see the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel [PT] – built in 1822 across from it. Behind the chapel on the left is a farm – The Hollies, built in 1835 and recently replaced – and behind it on the right is Netherfield – originally built in the late 1700s as one cottage, converted into two cottages in the early 1800s and then back again into one in the mid 20th century .
Here is the Methodist Chapel:
… and here the original Hollies:
… and here the chapel yard and Netherfield closer to:
Further details of Ashley Cottage and the National School can be seen here:
In the aerial photo above, may be seen the roadway which was the original entrance to Manor House Farm – built in 1848 to replace the Manor House [PT] which originally stood there.
All photos are from the collections of Bessie Fridlington, Dave Waby and Jane Henley unless otherwise attributed. If you have other photos or clearer copies that we could include – please contact us.