On the 9th March, 1822 a bargain and sale (conveyance) took place for £15. 14s. to purchase a piece of ground in Seaton Ross for the building of a new Primitive Methodist chapel. This was between Samuel Hall, yeoman of Seaton Ross and 7 local people who were the trustees of Seaton Ross Primitive Methodist chapel. They consisted of a schoolmaster, cordwainer and 5 yeomen.
This transaction formed the foundation for the beginning of the building of the first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Seaton Ross. It was completed during 1822 at a total cost of £92.19s.4½d. The chapel could accommodate 92 persons being 45 in pews with 47 free seats. The Chapel is clearly indicated on Williams Watson’s June 1828 plan of Seaton Ross as “Ranter Chapel”. Ranter was a nickname given to the Primitive Methodists.
For over half a century, this building was a place for worship but with the passage of time the chapel fell into disrepair and it became necessary to replace the old chapel and it was rebuilt in 1878. The total cost for the new chapel was £176. l 5s. 5d and when completed held 70 sittings with 40 available for letting and 30 free. A stone laying ceremony took place with two dedication stones being laid. A stone laid and dedicated by William Metcalfe and the other commemorating the building as a Primitive Methodist Chapel and the year – 1878.
The building remained a Primitive Methodist chapel well into the 20th century. Its doors were closed as a place of worship at Seaton Ross in 1965. Another chapter in local village history had passed. It then became a storage place for agricultural requisites. During the early 1990s the building was converted into a private dwelling house and remains so today.