“PAST TIMES”

PAST TIMES was a column written in the Seaton Ross Times in the 1990s and 2000s by Seaton Ross historian, Malcolm Young. The articles are reproduced here – transcribed but unmodified – and present his own research and conclusions. Click on the green text of the titles, or more, in the blocks below to see the full articles.  (note that many of the articles are also used/referenced elsewhere on the website – always indicated by [PT])

Schools

The Village School

Blacksmith’s Shop and Village School at “The Cross” Seaton Ross.
The old thatched cottage, which stood at The Cross in Seaton Ross, was for many years a public house and blacksmith’s shop. In the early 19th… more

The National School

The new National School, was described as a grey brick building, when built in 1858 at the centre of the village near to St. Edmunds Church. The new school could accommodate up to 90 children… more

Services

The Village Stores

The village stores were situated at The Cross and known to have been trading as far back as the early 19th century, possibly even earlier. William Watson’s 1811 village plan of Seaton Ross clearly indicates the location of… more

The Post Office

By the middle of the 17th century towns throughout England and Wales were connected by a postal service. Letters were carried along the principal highways by horses, which were changed at regular ‘posts’. Mail coaches were … more

The Seaton Ross Carrier

Throughout most of the nineteenth century, trains and horse-drawn transport co-existed. Long before the railways however, a nationwide network of carrier’s served the rural community. Numerous carriers… more

Celebrations

Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee

Celebrations Seaton Ross – 22nd June 1897.
The ageing Queen-Empress Victoria was the figurehead of the largest empire the world had ever known; one on which, quite literally, the sun never set. She was a powerful symbol of… more

Seaton Ross Feast – 1905

A CENTURY AGO
Monday & Tuesday 3rd and 4th July 1905.

The following article is from the Howdenshire Chronicle & Pocklington Weekly News of Saturday 8th July 1905 reporting on the above. It would seem to have… more

Seaton Ross Village Feast

An ancient village feast which annually falls on the first Sunday after the feast of St Peter’.
The Seaton Ross village feast has been part of the local history for many years and in fact, William Watson makes note in his… more

Public Houses

Black Horse Inn

Almost all now are called public houses, but in past times they were ale-kitchens, alehouses and Inns, and during the Victorian period they were in great numbers. The Inn was a place that provided food, lodgings and stabling… more

The Old Blacksmiths Arms

Blacksmith’s Shop and Village School at “The Cross” Seaton Ross.
The old thatched cottage, which stood at The Cross in Seaton Ross, was for many years a public house… more

The Blacksmiths Arms

The Blacksmiths Arms at the North End, Seaton Ross, was built in 1813. The first owner and occupier was William Pexton who apart from being the victualler was also the village blacksmith and… more

Religion

St. Edmund’s Church

The Church in Seaton Ross is a brick construction with stone details. It was built in 1788, to replace an earlier church, and it is dedicated to St Edmund. St Edmund, a King of East Anglia, was martyred in the 9th century century for refusing to… more

The Ascension Window

The Stained Glass Windows of St Edmund’s Church. No 1. The Ascension Window (East Window)
In 1953 Mr George G. Pace reorganised the chancel in St Edmund’s Church and the reredos erected in the early 20th century by the… more

The St Edmund Window

The Stained Glass Windows of St Edmund’s Church, No 2. The St Edmund Window (North Window), Preston Memorial Window.
St Edmunds church is dedicated to St Edmund, martyred in the 9th century who was King of East Anglia In… more

The Curate’s House

It is mentioned in Archbishop Sharp ‘s manuscript that a little house stood with a yard south of the churchyard at Seaton Ross, which belonged to the benefice. This seems very likely to be the predecessor of the property… more

The Wesleyan Chapel

On the 30th October, 1822 a bargain and sale took place. for £5.0s.0d. between William Harper, Yeoman of Seaton Ross and a group of eleven local businessmen which included 9 farmers, a surgeon and a shopkeeper. The purpose of this… more

The Primitive Methodist Chapel

On the 9th March, 1822 a bargain and sale (conveyance) took place for £15. 14s. to purchase a piece of ground in Seaton Ross for the building of a new Primitive Methodist chapel. This was between Samuel Hall, yeoman… more

Buildings and Houses

The Manor House

The Manor House at Seaton Ross was built in 1683 and is believed to have been of a timber framed construction. It stood on the site, which is now Manor House Farm close to St Edmunds Church. One of the early occupiers of the Manor House was the Varvill… more

The Parish Cottages…

and Allotments, North End and South End.
An important part of village life was the vestry meeting at which village worthies came together in the church vestry to appoint each other to the various caretaking jobs of the poor… more

Railway Gate Houses

The York and North Midlands Railway (Y. & N.M.R.) Selby to Market Weighton line, which was constructed as a single-track railway line, opened on the 8th August 1848 and cost £156,000 to build. This rural branch line was built… more

The New Mill – Seaton Ross

The new mill was built in the early 19th century by Mr. Thomas Rook. His son, Robert, occupied and worked the mill for many years. Robert Rook was a well-known and respected local farmer and yeoman. The four-sailed… more

The Old Mill – Seaton Ross

The old mill was built in the early 18th century and the earliest known resident was a Mr. John Sykes. The mill was occupied for many years during the early 19th century by Matthew Cook. ln earlier days… more

The Steam Mill at Old Mills

Wind milling was an unsociable occupation, the wind miller only being able to work when the wind blew – this could mean working in the middle of the night! As a consequence, millers began to add a new form of additional power… more

Steam Mill and Old Mill

The Mustard Mill – North End

The Mustard Mill at Seaton Ross operated from the 1840’s through to the 1860’s. The mill which was steam driven, was part of West Lea Cottages at North End owned by Robert Cook. Robert was a well known and respected farmer… more

Surrounding Area

The Hemp or Tow Pits

The hemp pits in Seaton Ross were situated north of The Hollies, Chapel Lane and consisted of numerous pits – the remains of these pits can still be seen to this day and can be easily reached by an easy stroll and are surrounded by a most… more

The Lady Well Seaton Ross

Places where water wells from the ground have always been venerated as sources of life, hence their almost invariable female dedication. The Neolithic practice of casting precious and sacrificial offerings into rivers and meres was, in some… more

The Village Pump

Long before villages became connected to the mains for water supplies, homesteads had to obtain their water manually and laboriously. The pump was a prominent feature in village life and was essential in providing water for drinking, cooking,… more

The Brick and Tile Works

Lodges Road – Seaton Ross: Brick making has been carried out in Britain since Roman times. In clay areas such as Seaton Ross, bricks were made on a very local scale with many a village and estates having its own brick works – Seaton Ross… more

The Priest Bridge Southfield Lane

Before the lands around Seaton Ross were drained in the eighteenth century, the area was very marshy particularly to the east of the village where lay ”The lngs” and “Everingham Carrs”. These were low-lying meadows and pastures,… more

Towpits – Reproduced with permission from Historic England Aerial Archaeological Mapping Explorer

Helping the Poor

The Parish Cottages…

and Allotments, North End and South End.
An important part of village life was the vestry meeting at which village worthies came together in the church vestry to appoint each other to the various caretaking jobs of the poor… more

Ancient order of Foresters…

Court Maxwell No.759, Seaton Ross.
Seaton Ross during the mid 19th century formed two friendly societies, the first was the Ancient Free Gardeners, Rose of Roscommon lodge No 263 (1st June 1839)… more

Ancient Free Gardeners…

…Rose of Roscommon Lodge No 263, Seaton Ross.
The heyday of the friendly society and benefit club was during the Victorian and Edwardian era when they spread widely and provided a useful outlet for reformist energies… more

William Watson

William Watson

William Watson was born at Seaton Ross in the East Riding of Yorkshire on 17th May 1784, He was the fourth child of eleven to parents John and Sarah Watson. William’s family were farmers and following in that tradition of his parents and grandparents… more

The Seaton Ross Sundials

Parish churches used sundials to enable clergymen to judge the times of services and for public use long before clocks were installed in church towers. A few Saxon sundials survive. In the middle Ages “scratch dials” were inscribed on… more

William Watson’s Simple Instrument for Finding a Meridian Line 1841

During a visit to London in 1840, William Watson contrived the idea of a new kind of instrument for finding a meridian line. .. more

Miscellany

Fire Insurance Marks

The idea of insurance against fire damage originated in the sixteenth and seventeenth century with advances in housebuilding accelerating after the horrors of the Great Fire of London in 1666. Timber-frame houses…. more

10 Squadron (Shiny Ten) Melbourne Airfield

1940-1945
The airfield at Melbourne was originally only grass, beginning life in 1940 on a very temporary basis and the first bombers to arrive were twin-engined… more

George Johnson of Lincoln Flatts

Seaton Ross, England and
Seaton Ross, Guildford, Western Australia
(1803 – 1879).

In the early years of the 19th century Britain was undergoing changing times – farming was facing decline and difficulties; the static… more

Village Pundit

Past Times

The following article was written by a resident of Seaton Ross almost 90 years ago of what was considered could be improved in the village and reasons for and against a weekly half day holiday… more

outside Alberries Farm on the turnpike road

sharing Seaton Ross's history