St. Edmund’s was probably founded by the Normans in the eleventh century (there is a font of this date). It is located at the highest point in the village. The current church was built in 1788/9.
John Wesley, the founder of Methodism visited the area several times from 1752 onwards and in particular preached in Pocklington. See the Pocklington History website for more details. With the formation of a Wesleyan congregation in Pocklington in 1961, it is likely that a similar congregation formed in Seaton Ross shortly afterwards – perhaps meeting in members homes. The existing Wesleyan Chapel was not built until 1822.
The Primitive Methodists split off from the Wesleyan mainstream in about 1810. In 1822 a small Primitive Methodist Chapel was built just along the road from the Church and the Wesleyan Chapel.
All photos are from the collections of Bessie Fridlington, Dave Waby and Jane Henley unless otherwise attributed. If you have other photos or clearer copies that we could include – please contact us.